4/5/17

Triumph of Death: Halberdier Units


Triumph of Death: Halberdier Units

Finished up two units of  skelly halberdiers, based as units for Kings of War. The first unit is "advancing, with halberds high at the ready and back rank marching. I chose to put two torch standards in this unit, as multiple torches and candle standards is a prevalent theme in Bruegel's  Triumph of Death painting.


Not sure which angle told the story best so am over sharing here.
Multiple candle standards can be seen in the top center of this detail. 

Attack!

The second unit is in an "attack attitude" with halberds lowered in the front rank and at the ready to drop some beats in the second rank. I put in a marching skelly behind the standard bearer- a quick conversion or halberd at ready- because it just looked better.


The standard is a cloth flag on a brass wire spear. Based on a Landsknecht flag.

Mix and Match

I've designed my "deckled" bases to fit together, so you could take these two units and make a Kings of War regiment.  This gives a lot more flexibility and also makes them more useful for Oldhammer games.  Both of these units, the Javelin regiment, and all of my single painted figures- including the one off conversions- are pledge rewards as part of my upcoming Kickstarter. Getting these guys done and photographed was part of the wait.  The KS will be launching a couple of days after I get the thumbs up from the Kickstarter group, so hopefully before the 10th. Pins and needles time!
Ranking up!
And lastly for now, a group shot of the units together. The angle shows its an action pose :)
That's all for now- thanks again for checking back in, and, as always, I love your feedback and comments! 
Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. These really look the biz. Exactly how I want my chaps to look assuming the KS goes through. I'll be ready to pledge (the first KS I'll have participated in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springsinsfeld, When you take your dead from cool landsknechts (that may or may not have been that good, otherwise why are they dead... Hm) they are gonna look the biz!

      KS is gonna go through, don'tchu worry.
      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete
  2. Spectacular and superb, love the colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil- thanks. I owe the colors from the palette of Breugel's paintings. I'm pretty sure he was working from, erm, life...
      It is an interesting contrast from the bleached bone "Harryhousen" school, to be sure.

      Cheers
      Ths

      Delete